We publish a joint statement of 47 environmental and social organizations from Turkey, Greece and Cyprus on the latest earthquake in the Aegean sea. This initiative follows the joint statement of 68 organizations against the extraction of hydrocarbons on the East Mediterranean.
We believe that this initiative that unites groups, organizations and movements from both sides of the Aegean is of crucial importance, especially at this moment when our governments try to create nationalist tensions over their battle for domination in the area.
Common Voice from Two Sides of the Aegean Sea:
We stand in solidarity with life for people and the environment
On October 30, the Aegean Sea was shaken by an earthquake. We cry with the same tears to our losses on both sides.
On both sides of the Aegean sea damaged buildings collapsed on ordinary working people. The economic interests of the construction industry and the indifference of the state machine are to blame for this catastrophe and there is nothing “natural” in that.
Greek and Turkish states watched instead of preventing. They chose to spend huge amounts to fight each other instead of showing solidarity and cooperation.
They continue to bring the soil upside down, starting from the Mediterranean sea. If the extraction of hydrocarbons proceeds as they plan there can be huge environmental impact in case of earthquakes, which are usual in our area.
Our societies should base on preparing for earthquakes, not ignoring them.
Policies that accelerate the earthquake and multiply its effects and disregard nature should be ended.
War is between life and capital, not between our peoples!
Stop hydrocarbon extraction now!
We are on both sides of the Aegean sea, with life, not profits!
Solidarity and struggle!
- Ankara Urban and Ecology Defense
- Amed Ecology Association
- Bakırtepe Environment Platform
- Baslangıc Ecology
- Burhaniye Environment Platform
- Buyuk Menderes Initiative
- Divrigi Culture Association
- The Nature Has Rights Platform
- Ecology Politics
- Hatay Defne Public Initiative
- Hatay The Future of Defne Platform
- HDK Ecology Assembly
- Hewsel Protection Platform
- HRA Antalya Branch Ecology Commission
- Ida Mountains İstanbul Solidarity
- Kusadası Environment Platform
- Mardin Ecology Association
- Mesopotamia Ecology Movement
- Mugla Environment Platform
- Polen Ecology
- Sinop Urban Rights Association
- Sinop Platform Against Nuclear
- Sinop Association of Platform Against Nuclear
- Green Insurgency, Ecology and Life
- Green Left Climate Working Group
- Validebağ Volunteers
- Struggle committee of Thessaloniki against gold mining
- Landfill stop — citizens in action in Petroupoli Athens
- Network for information of citizens against mining — Extraction Stop Preveza
- Initiative of citizens against waste incineration “No Burn” — Volos
- Youth for the environment — Volos
- Podoniftis — stream of critics of the times and action
- Callisto, Wildlife and Nature Conservation Society
- Initiative of struggle in Zografou — Athens
- Struggle committee of Thessaloniki against waste incineration
- Ecology intervention of Heraklion
- Initiative against the environmental destruction and climate change
- Hellenic Mining Watch
- Move of citizens of Chortiatis – Thessaloniki
- Popular assembly of the citizens of Kolonos-Sepolia-Akadimias Platona in Athens
- Move for the protection and the promotion of the stream of Rafina — Athens
- Ilioupoli citizen move — Athens
- Ecology network
- Nomadic Architecture
- Initiative Against Gold Extraction
- Left Movement